
Football icon Cristiano Ronaldo has given his strongest hint yet that he’s on the final lap of his great career at 41.
The Portuguese star returned to Al-Nassr last week, greeted by new coach Ange Postecoglou, but was absent from their first game of the Saudi Pro League season.
And now it has emerged his maiden appearance of the campaign looks set to kick off a farewell tour.
Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo told Vogue magazine in an interview on Sunday to mark his wedding to Georgina Rodriguez.
“I have my future all mapped out.
“I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.
“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because after all it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”
More children and a bigger second wedding have not been ruled out.
Ronaldo’s great rival Lionel Messi also revealed in the week that he’s uncertain about how much longer he will continue playing, following the death of his father Jorge, whose passing has left the Argentina captain devastated.
Ronaldo has previously said he would like to score 1000 career goals before departing.
He is on 976 and would have one season in Saudi and possibly a farewell game for Portugal or in the Nations League to top the milestone.
It will now be up to Postecoglou to set up the opportunity for Ronaldo to retire on a high.
The veteran forward scored 28 goals last season as Al-Nassr won the Saudi title by two points.




